Police still pleading for help with Peckham rape, with no arrests nearly a week on

Date:

Nearly a week on from the shocking rape of a teenager in Peckham by two men, police are still calling for witnesses to come forward – with no arrests made yet.

No arrests have been made, as police continue to investigate the “brutal” attack on an eighteen-year-old woman late at night on Thursday, January 13 near Peckham Rye station.

The teenager was walking down an alleyway off Elm Grove shortly after 10.20pm that night when two males approached her from behind and took her to neighbouring Holly Grove, where they raped her.

Police are still urging anyone who may have been in the Peckham Rye station area between 10pm on Thursday and 12.30am on Friday or who may have any information to come forward.

The two males were wearing dark clothing, gloves and face coverings but there is no other description.

Detective Superintendent Clair Kelland said: “The investigation into this incident is fast paced and ongoing and involves an extensive crime scene.”

Southwark Council also responded to the awful attack in a statement last Friday, January 14, saying they were supporting the police with their investigation.

Cllr Evelyn Akoto, the council’s cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “We are shocked and appalled by such a horrendous incident. Our heart goes out to the young woman who suffered a truly brutal attack by two men while she was walking in public.

“It shows that the threat against women remains ever present. We refuse to accept that fear, intimidation, harassment and assault are regular occurrences in too many lives. As a community, we need to stand up to all forms of male violence against women and girls.”

 

Cllr Akoto later added that the council was reviewing its lighting and CCTV in the borough as part of its plan to combat violence against women and girls, with a view to adding to its coverage.

The exact circumstances of the attack remain unclear, but Cllr Akoto said that Southwark remained in general a safe place to live, despite the horrific incident. A senior police officer in the borough added that this kind of attack was rare.

Police and the council have developed schemes aimed at keeping women safe since the murder of Sarah Everard last year. The Met rolled out the ‘Ask for Angela’ safety initiative in August, where anyone feeling unsafe, vulnerable or threatened on a night out can discreetly ask for help from venue staff.

Staff at Tola, a bar on Peckham Road, said they were “disgusted and appalled” by the rape. The bar’s manager Diggy Nelson said that “we as leaders in the community nightlife need to take a stand and get behind change.”

Alongside discussions about wider cultural change, the investigation into this terrible incident continues.

If you have any information, please call police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting 240/14JAN. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Stocking Your Café: Essential Tips for Success

Stocking your café with the right ingredients, equipment, and...

Types of Home Assistance for the Elderly

As individuals age, they may require support to maintain...

Leasing a Range Rover Sport: A Smart Guide to Luxury and Performance

Introduction In the world of luxury vehicles, the Range Rover...

Discovering London’s Culinary Gems: The Best Chinese Restaurants

London, a vibrant and bustling metropolis, is renowned for...